[sustran] Hong Kong's proposed large reclamation of the Harbour for abypass of Central

Regina Manzo reginamanzo at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:23:46 JST 2004

Dear SusTran -

sorry to resend - I don't think the message text came through before.

Gina

From: "Regina Manzo" <reginamanzo at hotmail.com>

About one million square feet of reclamation into the harbour in Hong Kong
is being proposed and contested by the public, the rationale for which is
the disputed need for a road bypass of Central and Wan Chai.  The
reclamation is way in excess of what would be needed to support the bypass,
and 5.1 hectares will be sold to developers for commercial development.  An
existing "Protection of the Harbour" law has been used to try to stop the
proposed reclamation, as well as transport analyses saying the road is not
needed.

The below letter from the group Save Our Shorelines (SOS) illustrates the
latest legal developments.  And asks for assistance.  The slightly garbled
text at the end explains more of the recent legal appeals.  For your
information, and if anyone can assist.

Gina Manzo, AICP
Singapore

Save our Shorelines <hksos at aol.com>