[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Difficulties that Pedestrians andPublic Ro ad Transport face

Kisan Mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Tue Jun 29 02:08:56 JST 2004

Thank you for drawing my attention to an apparant anomaly.    Urbanisation
is related to the number of people residing urban areas. In India, human
settlements having a population of 5,000 and more are designated as urban.

Mumbai had a population of 11.91 milion on 31 March 2001 ( Census of India
2001) but occupied only 434 sq km of land.  I have been telling that Mumbai
has 1.2%  of India's population but only 0.001% of India's landmass.

Cities and now megacities are considered to provide economies of scale
where human activities are concentrated.   I am definite that cities do not
provide satisfaction to
humans compared to non-urban areas yet we find them huddling in cities. Best
wishes.

Kisan Mehta
Tel: 00 91 22 2414 9688