[sustran] Re: [bnet] Re: Green = Pollution and Congestion- Taxes on Cars

Prabha Krishnan prabha_k at vsnl.com
Mon Jun 28 00:00:49 JST 2004

Sorry friends,
If I have given the impression that I do not support congestion tax.
It is the implementation I'm worried about.
When we came to Mumbai from Delhi, we were approached by touts who offered
to take care of entry tax or whatever it was. We refused and paid up. For
PUC certificate too the same short cuts are available. I twice filled up
petrol without my PUC being updated - through oversight, not thru intention
to cheat.
My fear is that as with any new tax, the same captive audience will get
taxed, and will subsidise the rich and powerful.
In a slightly differnent context - Kisanbhai has forwarded the story of the
Walmart women class action suit. I analysed public service ads put out by
PRCA - most aimed at women, telling them how to save fuel.
There were no ads telling men in government service not to rush off to the
airport to see off or recieve their minister bosses. In general cars and
bigger cars and free petrol are seen as symbols of office, not as tools to
save time and effort.
Were we to strigently cut short the perks and privileges of our ruling
classes, congestion on roads and fuel consumption will both come down. This
is where the complexity comes in.
Thanks, Prabha.