[sustran] Re: selection of Transport Strategies

Eric Bruun ericbruun at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 01:52:56 JST 2004

Andi

I also want to point out that the UK is just one place. There are other
countries in Europe, as well as numerous cities in the US and Canada, where
policy makers and citizens feel otherwise.

The UK is a special case. First, it requires the use of private money,
so-called Private Finance Initiatives, and the investors bear a risk of any
revenue shortfall. The Croydon Tramlink investors suffered when revenues
where lower than forecast. Riders used regional fare instruments, as fares
are controlled by Transport for London, not themselves. Other investors saw
what happened. Thus, they put a risk premium in their plans so the
construction costs have ballooned in the last few years. Furthermore,
outside of London, the Office of Trading Practices (or some title similar to
that), won't permit plans that involve removal of parallel bus routes and
development of  new trunk/branch networks that redeploy the bus hours
elsewhere, arguing that the rail investors are trying to get rid of their
competition. This is viewed as a very primitive and ideological stance
anywhere else in Europe or in North America.

Eric