[sustran] Re: Taxi operations in Mumbai

Bina C. Balakrishnan binac at rediffmail.com
Tue Jun 8 19:37:00 JST 2004

 Dear Brendan,

The will is unfortunately with a minority currently. There are a few bureaucrats who are very convinced of the feasibility of the recommendations, but the opposition is from the implementing arm of the Govt. And our argument for the parking approach has been exactly that- low cost, immediate returns, AND revenue generation, to a cash strapped Corporation. There is also resistance from the store owners, but this resistance is also to the implementation of one-way systems, as they are afraid that their sales will drop. And therefore Mumbai is currently on a spree of capital intensive solutions like elevated roadways and flyovers.

We have a large segment of taxi- users who share a cab at least at one end of their work trips every day. During morning and evening peak hours, there are designated “Shared Taxi” stands at the suburban railway stations, and the cab moves as soon as 4 passengers are seated. We are thinking of using a slightly larger seating capacity vehicle for this segment. There are also a large number of private taxi operators (also called tourist taxis) – not the regular yellow cabs that you can hail on the street – all of whose drivers are supplied with mobile phones. Cell phone usage in Mumbai is very high, with even the roadside vegetable vendor and children all carrying one. New Delhi has a system whereby the visitor to the city is sms’d the phone number of the taxi service along with the welcome msg - and yes, we should look into this for Mumbai too.

The level of service currently provided by the taxi in Mumbai is very poor, and definitely does not justify its disruptive presence in the traffic stream. There is a perceived demand for better service at various levels of comfort in this sector, and that is why we are looking into this. And as you have said- a large number of non- work, short trips that could have been made by taxi are using personal modes because of this very reason.

I would really appreciate your inputs, Brendan, and the references, as offered - both for the parking and the taxi case studies.Thank you.
With best regards,

Bina

Bina C. Balakrishnan
Consultant
Transportation Planning and Engineering,
Mumbai, India
e-mail: binac at rediffmail.com