[sustran] Taxi operation

Shamsul A M A Hoque shoque at smtrans.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 18:48:44 JST 2004

Dear Kisan

I did not understand why did you mention this-

"It is clear that concentration of ownership in fewer hands that is creating
corporate giants would not help commuters. Any attempt in that direction
would create
social and ethical turmoil."

My second concern is: why you did not mentioned about the parking charges
for taxi? Instead you have recommend to raise their fare level to keep their
vehicle in good order. If taxi-drivers are allowed to pay the parking charge
for a particular taxi-waiting stand then they would be forced to stay there
unless there is a call from passenger. Without any passenger no taxi would
be allowed to roam around on the road, this would creat some frustration
among the passengers who does not have any easy access to a phone. But
passengers would get used to the situation soon and they would know how far
they have to walk to get a taxi stand.

At present, isn't there any taxi operators'/owners' association present
there in Mumbai? I believe there are some in Mumbai, as in the case for
Dhaka. There would a mechanism which would be acceptable to all the present
operators/owners. If the drivers see they would be benefited by making fewer
bigger size companies, than what there are now "One owner one taxi", then
there would not be any big issue.

Thank you.

SAM Aminul Hoque

Message: 1