[sustran] Re: Taxi operations in Mumbai

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Sat Jun 5 01:59:53 JST 2004

Dear Bina,

I guess Singapore's main cab companies (Comfort, CityCab, TIBS) might offer
a working model. While the cost base is likely to be different due to the
wage rates and perhaps also insurance and licence factors, it's still worth
looking at. They're certainly large enough to gain economies of scale and
good purchasing power.

An alternative model could be a leasing-with-maintenance arrangement by the
vehicle suppliers. This certainly can work in the bus sector.

Whatever you opt for, you are looking to replace old vehicles with new in a
low-wage, low-tariff situation. Financially, this is not going to fit
easily. Even allowing for fuel efficiencies and other cost savings, tariffs
are going to have to rise to pay for the new investment.

I wish you good luck in your option development and implementation.

Brendan Finn.
Contact details are : e-mail : etts at indigo.ie   tel : +353.87.2530286