[sustran] Taxi operations in Mumbai

Bina C. Balakrishnan binac at rediffmail.com
Sat Jun 5 00:21:29 JST 2004

Hi everyone,

We are trying to re-organise the taxi operations in Mumbai, introducing newer, more efficient models of cars, with a choice of levels of comfort, and differentiated tariff structures. Currently, all taxis in Mumbai are either owner- driven, or by a driver hired by the owner of a single or small (4-5) fleet of cars. Operational costs in this case seem to be high, and vehicle maintenance suffers. Most of these vehicles are also very old, and in an attempt to improve both the system as well as the environment through the use of newer, better vehicles, we are examining the feasibility of shifting to an “Operator System,” where new models of fuel efficient vehicles will be owned by a few large operators, who can then optimize their operations.

I would appreciate any information on the experience of other cities elsewhere in the world, in this area.

Regards and thanks,
Bina

Bina C. Balakrishnan
Consultant