[sustran] Re: Motorcycles summarised

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Fri Jun 4 04:08:30 JST 2004

Dear K. Tsourlakis,

Thank you for your message. I agree with you that Motorcycles (along with
their cousins the scooters)  being less environmentally damaging than motor
cars is a myth that will be exposed if proper studies are carried out in
how they are flooding the streets in the third world, particularly in India
and South East Asia. They are certainly not less polluting, safer nor more
sustainable than cars. If anything, due to their exploding numbers they
pose a greater threat to sustainable transport in these countries.

For making the transport system sustainable there is no shortcut to giving
the highest priority to public transport, starting with the bus based
systems which are the most economical and easiest to improve, given the
financial constrains of poorer nations.

--
Sujit Patwardhan
Parisar,