[sustran] WBCSD report - general commentary

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jul 19 18:19:34 JST 2004

Monday, July 19, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

Dear Friends,

As you can see from the first round of responses in hours after the
original call, we are off to a strong start.  Couple of quick
organizational suggestions in an attempt to facilitate all this as we
move ahead.

1. Subject headings for systematic citation: After some discussion we
propose the following subject headings for organizing future entries on
what is likely to be a quite extensive commentary.  (Notes in
parenthesis only for clarification here.)

Overall subject heading: WBCSD report (bit shorter, hence better?)

Discussion headings for consistent citation:

*         WBCSD report - General commentary

*         WBCSD report - Report contributions (to the debate,
understanding and remedial action)

*         WBCSD report - Targeting/Omissions

*         WBCSD report - Error (factual or of interpretation)

*         WBCSD report - Wit (including a series of short 'book blurb'
comments by us to accompany eventual revised version publication)

*         WBCSD report - Action recommendations to WBCSD (including to
report sponsors, associates, etc.)

*         WBCSD report - Next steps (Our recommendations)

*         WBCSD report - Media leads (to get greatest impact of our hard
work on this)

My hope is that this structure may encourage you to comment on one or
more of these, which clearly should feed rather nicely into any eventual
report or recommendations.

2. Self-identification:  It would be much appreciated if with each
posting you remind us as to your full name, title, organizational
affiliation, etc.  Why? Because we want this to carry the weight of our
considerable background and credentials.  This indeed is the power of
this international peer review approach, making it I believe rather hard
to ignore.

3. Presentation of our materials:  All of this will inevitably be
somewhat ragged, spread out and hard to access efficiently if we leave
it for the Yahoo Forum alone -- so I will get to work on this in the
next 48 hours and create a cleaner presentation on the New Mobility
Agenda website.

4. Schedule:   I propose that we aim to tie this up with a final report
from this end (probably short with the whole discussion in annex) by the
end of August from this end - with attention to giving our friends at
the ITDP as much as we/you conveniently can by their next week deadline.
My hope is that this two level approach will serve the cause best.  (in
fact it may lead to more levels than that, since these raw materials may
find many good uses in many places.  Or so I very much hope.)

Since all of this is still early days, if you have any suggestions about
modifying or extending any of this better, please let me know off group
via Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org.

Best,