[sustran] WBCSD Mobility 2030 report - general commentary

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jul 19 05:02:03 JST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Metz [mailto:metz at integerconsult.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 9:21 PM
To: Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org

Dear Eric,

Thank you for this initiative. If July 30 is indeed the end, I can only
now make some remarks and wish they serve you in these 2 weeks.

1. In the early stage of this WBCSD-project I met with the organisers
and told them that their focus cannot credibly claim to cover
"mobility". The report should be named more correctly "some first steps
towards sustainable AUTOmobility". If not, I urged them to include
public transport and the potentials for reduction of physical mobility
by ICT, telework, teleconsults, telemeetings, ... Some other members of
the same associations should be invited, not only the cars and fuels
interests. And how can e.g. city design be included, if 'urban sprawl'
is not accepted as a fact of nature ?

2. The (inofficial) strategy of the WBCSD is to 'defend the licenses to
operate' of its members as as long and cheaply as possible. It does so
by presenting success stories, which support its lobby for voluntary and
subsidised actions and against legislation. It mainly - if not only -
represents transnational companies and usually agrees with the general
business lobby ICC. In 1996 I co-founded and since then represent the
pro-active European Business Council for Sustainable Energy. See
<http://www.e5.org> www.e5.org for its agenda, which includes active
support for Kyoto, carbon taxes and trading, elimination of perverse
subsidies, etc. also on behalf of small and midsized companies. Also on
my own website you find more.

3. This report should be confronted with the Millennium Development
Goals - should there be "access to mobility" in it ? - and with the
Climate Convention. It is unlikely that the scenario until 2030
projected in this study is compatible with these global superpriorities.
It may be a good start, but does not show the appropriate sense of
urgency. And how can mobility in developing countries 'leapfrog' and
avoid repetition of the fossil, land-intensive route we try to end here
?

Finally, I am convinced of the good intentions of the experts involved
in the WBCSD project group. My questions here aim at their bosses, the
strategy of the companies and at the governmental decision makers they
try to influence.

Good luck and please explain why we have only 2 weeks. In August more
experts may have time to contribute.

Paul Metz

                INTEGeR... consult

  Dr Paul E. Metz  Managing Consultant
  Phone               +31 26 362 04 50

  Mobile               +31 653 76 58 85
  Email                Metz at integerconsult.org
  URL                  http://www.integerconsult.org
<http://www.integerconsult.org/>

Market intelligence for profitable green business