[sustran] "Seven Sustainable Mayors": Profiles of Courage

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 9 03:08:33 JST 2004

Your thoughts on this?

"Our" mayors, that handful of exceptional people who have not only done
one or two good things for their city but who have by nature of their
intervention changed the basic culture and the direction of their city -
let's call that sustainability -- thus making it a very different place,
had a certain number of things in common.  One is that while able and
ready to listen, when the action gets started they turn out to be
especially hard headed people to make sure that the job gets done.  Hard
headed and thick skinned. Okay, we will see about that in time.

But is it also true that these people are so different perhaps in part
because they are not driven to work in their own car or their car of
function, possibly with a driver. but that they either take the bus,
bike, run/walk to somehow share a vehicle?  Might that be part of the
pattern?  I know that some of the ones I happen to know best fall into
that pattern.

Because if it does, it would seem to lend another dimension to the
phrase car-free.  Since when we are freed of something we are also free
to think without that encumbrance?

And yes, kind thanks for those first notes of suggestion and your
thoughts.  Believe me I am taking all this very seriously.  So thanks
again.