[sustran] Re: More on Jakarta's controversial new bus service hits theroad

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 18 11:29:31 JST 2004

I think you are right: the elite are normally important at all times, and
one of my concerns is that when services are improved, fares often go up,
excluding low-income people from using them. Does anyone know what the
fare will be when the two-week free period ends, and how this will compare
with fares on regular buses?

Bangkok charges much higher fares on air-conditioned buses than on
nonaircon and SkyTrain coats even more, with the new underground to be
implemented with fares that start at more than three times the nonaircon
bus rate. The nonaircon buses are jam-packed, and there are many people
using them on routes that parallel the much faster SkyTrain because the
rail fare is too high for them to afford.

                                                        --Jonathan

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Eric Bruun wrote:

> Bus lanes might well make traffic worse in other lanes, but the question has
> to be asked: How much more capacity in terms o people does it create? The
> unspoken objection is often that the elite don't get to have first priority
> on road space.
>
> Eric

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Transportation Engineering program
School of Civil Engineering, Room N260B               02 524-6844 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-6844
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Ms. Nisarat Hansuksa
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6051
					      Intl:  662 524-6051
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/