[sustran] Re: Levying Tolls for reducing congestion on roads

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sat Jan 3 02:41:36 JST 2004

I agree, road pricing reforms are very important for creating more
efficient urban transportation systems,  providing reductions in traffic
congestion and delay to nonmotorized travel, increased safety, road and
parking facility cost savings, more efficient public transit service and
more efficient land use. London's experience is demonstrating that it can
be successfully implemented in major cities. For more information see:

Todd Litman, London Congestion Pricing: Implications for Other Cities,
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (http://www.vtpi.org/london.pdf), 2003.

"Road Pricing," Online TDM Encyclopedia
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm35.htm), VTPI, 2003.

Congestion Pricing Bibliography, (www.hhh.umn.edu/centers/slp/conpric/bib.htm).

European Transport Pricing Initiatives (www.transport-pricing.ne)

Todd Litman, “Mobility Management” module
(http://www.vtpi.org/gtz_module.pdf) of the Sustainable Transport
Sourcebook, published by the Sustainable Urban Transport Project in Asia
(www.sutp.org) and GTZ (www.gtz.de), 2003.

If any of you are attending the Transportation Research Board annual
meeting later this month, be sure to attend Session 421, "London: Pricing
Sustainable Urban Transport," Hilton, Tuesday, January 13, 8:00 - 9:45 AM.

Best New Year Wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director