[sustran] Re: feeder systems in other cities

Alan Howes Alan.Howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 18:30:45 JST 2004

[Copied to sustran-discuss - sorry sustranners, you will have to dig down to the bottom to find out what this is all about!  Apologies for duplication.]

Do I take it then, Stephen, that what very sensibly happens in Ottawa ("bus way services fan out at the end the end of the exclusive r.o.w.") does not happen in Richmond?  If not, why not?

Turning to Jakarta, I find it a bit difficult to offer advice to Lisa without a bit more background - and I don't know Jakarta.  A lot will depend on the characteristics of the busway and the feeder catchment areas.  But it will be important to ensure that ticketing and publicity are integrated between the busway and the feeders, and it may well be more appropriate to use smaller vehicles covering more feeder routes.  It would probably be sensible to match the feeder headway to the busway headway - but this depends to a certain extent on whether traffic conditions are such that the feeders can be expected to keep to a timetable.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Alan

--
Alan Howes
Associate Transport Planner

4 St Colme Street
Edinburgh      EH3 6AA
Scotland
email:  alan.howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
tel:      (0)131 240 2892 (direct)
           (0)131 226 4693 (switchboard)
           (0)7952 464335  (mobile)
fax:     (0)131 220 0232
www: http:/www.cbuchanan.co.uk/

email:  alan.howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
tel:      (0)131 240 2892 (direct)
           (0)131 226 4693 (switchboard)
           (0)7952 464335  (mobile)
fax:     (0)131 220 0232
www: http:/www.cbuchanan.co.uk/
_______________________________
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it for the addressee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender by replying to this email.
Any views expressed by an individual within this email which do not constitute or record professional advice relating to the business of CBP, do not necessarily reflect the views of the company. Any professional advice or opinion contained within this email is subject to our terms and conditions of business.
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
_______________________________

>>> "Rees, Stephen" <stephen_rees at translink.bc.ca> 16/02/04 17:05:59 >>>
When BRT came to my neighbourhood (Richmond BC) what had been a series of direct suburb to downtown bus routes, became a set of feeders to the 98 B (BRT) line. This was based on what had become established practice in the region when SkyTrain was opened and subsequently extended. Rapid transit provides the line haul and local bus service is reorganized to feed the stations. With a fully integrated fare system, and purpose built interchanges, this was generally accepted - since SkyTrain has a distinct speed advantage over buses. The 98 B-Line however, did not have such a clear advantage since the exclusive bus only lanes cover only 2 of the 15 route kilometres - with limited queue jumpers and  signal pre-emption elsewhere. Within a very short period of time, direct routes from Richmond were re-introduced to give commuters a one seat ride (no transfers). These services now run parallel to the B-Line.

One of the advantages of BRT is that feeder services can use the same right of way - as happens in Ottawa. There the bus way services fan out at the end the end of the exclusive r.o.w. and also provide direct service between centre and suburbs rather than feeders requiring a transfer. This of course does not happen with rail based systems which require a mode change mid trip.

The above opinions are my own and may not necessarily reflect those of my employer

Stephen Rees
Program Manager, Transportation Policy
Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority (TransLink)
1660 - 4720 Kingsway
Burnaby BC V5H 4N2
tel: (604)453-4561
fax: (604)453-4628