[sustran] Re: Mumbai Metro Proposal

Kisan Mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Thu Feb 12 21:50:22 JST 2004

  Dear Colleagues,

  Awfully grateful to Eric, Dina and Craig for qick response and some really
valuable comments,
  We are still busy extracting info and preparing
  our response. so this is a quick thanks

  Tric Bruun contentions:
  It is a fact that underground metro is the only solution for linking
points that cannot connected in any other way.   Costs, observed from actual
working in Kolkata and now Delhi, are terribly high beyond the affordability
level of the common man/ In Kolkata, the service cannot used by the poor
while the rich are not  ready to discard their car in favour of the metro.

  Luckily the underground component is low in relation
  to elevated in the Mumbai Metro. Elevated alignment however is along the
narrow, overcorded roads.  The claim is that the pylons will occupy only 1.5
sq m of road space is falsified by the experience we now have of the
elevated roads. The authorities hire the entire width of the elevated road
(on the ground below) for `pay and park' to earn some money (and to attract
vehicles to crowded areas where stopping of vehicle was even forbidden).
Financial resources are already scarce. Authorities have no desire to
control personal vehicles hence the users of gound roads are put to severe
hardship.    A cost of Ind Rs 200 billion has
  (Rs 47 make one US $) been indicated which by
  all considerations is a gross underestimate.
  We accept that some links are beyond any other solution except underground
tube but there can be
  no justification to create metro where commuter rail
  already exists and can be augmented.

   Gina Manzo's contentions

  Yes! All decisions taken on political grounds and that too by politicians
who are unable to see beyond politics.   This has to be countereed and
faced. More importantly, decisions have to tow up with the conditionalities
of the World Bank and financial institutions.  In the case of the Mumbai
Urban Transport Project the Bank extended substantial
  loan with bank sharing 80% in road subprojects as against 46% for commuter
railway. Transport
  agencies work in league with the Bank officers in evolving the propoject
proposal.

  Encroachment of roads and public places is a serious issue.  Now that the
state has developed a sound resettlement and rehabilotation policy many
hurdles are overcome. Sheela Patel's SPARC is one NGO cooperating with the
authorities in R&R.

  But what can you do with slums? 65% of population
  is slum dweller. Authorites allow parking on roads, pavements and even on
pavementless narrow streets to earn parking charges.   Slums and hawkers are
a really vexing issue that demands integrated social
  and cultural approach.

  Creatring public awareness is important. The authorites are doing
everything to encourage and
  promote craving for motor cars. Already 30 global
  auto mfrrs are doing everything to sell more. Banks give loan at rates
lower than loans to citizens for housing, personal expenses etc. Consumerism
at its best.

  The state helps by building highways and elevated roads at public cost and
ptovide ample parking to
  earn revenue ythough `pay and parking' having sandwiched rares- meaning
longer the parking,
  lower the parking rate.  This is the tragedy.

  Fina, you would be happy to learn that many hutments just touching
suburban railway tracks are shifted about 10 metres away and elsewhere. The
railways have not added many more trains because of financical crunch and in
the case of the MUTP, the Bank's insistance to procure terribly expnsive
stainless steel rakes from the only mfrr in the world.   It is now possible
to run standard 12 rake trains in place of 9, yet the authorites have
refused to comply. Result the death rate on tracks has not come down.

  As explained on phone when you called yesterday, we try to remain in touch
with other NGOs. The issues are quite often too complcated politically,
technically hence NGOs do not go beyond statement in press.  Sheela Pater is
a good friend and extended full support when we organised meeting with the
World Bank President. Your advice to coordinate with other NGOs is well
taken.

  I have lost touch with the Tri-State working for 30 years so also with
other good work in the area.  We shall try to revive in due course of time.
Please gelp.

  Craig Townsend contentions

  Craig's contentions are very valid. Rents for built space are frozen by
the govt in urban areas to 1950 level, again political reasons.  There is no
likelihood
  of getting benefit accruing from the developort of mobility facilities.
Municipalities suffer because the built up space cannot be taxed on
realistic basis.

  Resource crunch overall is a real issue so public-private partmership is a
remote possiblity. Our authorites have tried to put up proposals for Build,
Operate and Operate basis but response is poor.

  This has however created a feeling of cynicim. World Bank and ohers are
ready to finance. Present generation, existing politicians and bureaucrats
do not have to pay back the loan in their life time so why not borrow at any
cosrt. India has become the biggest World Bank borrower. About 30% of
revenues go to servicing of loans so you can see what devleopment can take
place.   Maharashtra State of which Mumbai is the capital, has a public debt
of Rs 900 billion. quite high for Indians (trifling before Bush
extravaganza).

  We are grateful to our Sustran family and particularly to Eric, Gina and
Craig for valuable guidance.  We have to take into consideration urban
development issues as well as the fact that transport after all is a tool in
the hands of planners to set and improve (and deterioate as well) qualirty
of life.  We hope to contact6 again on the issue.  Best wishes.