[sustran] Re: Draft proposal to Principal Voices - Comparing Costs of Modes

Daryl Oster et3 at et3.com
Fri Dec 31 13:15:03 JST 2004

Todd,

If you follow your logic far enough you end up at the point proving that
cars are subsidizing trains through the cost of parking.  Most parking is
"free" that is it is provided by the business owner to attract business to
their store.  The cost of the parking lot is part of the business cost, and
added to the product or services provided - so the one who parks at the
store pays for their parking when they buy the products at the store.  There
are many other transportation costs embodied in the cost of products in
addition to the cost of parking.  Much of the freight in the US is moved by
ship and rail, and the cost of that shipping is added to the product cost,
and paid by those who park in the parking lots (cars).  Therefore cars are
subsidizing rail infrastructure.

IMO, the market is mostly fair and impartial, and in the US market trains
were compared with cars long ago; guess what -- the trains lost.  You are
correct - the contest was NOT fair - it was biased in favor of trains.  The
railroads had much more clout than automotive innovators at the start of the
contest -- railroads had market share AND tremendous political power (they
still do), yet cars won the comparison - and they are winning all over the
world.  The situation today is vary similar with innovative transportation
modes - still in experiment and development.  It is now the car market that
is peaking, instead of the train and bike market that peaked in the early
1900s.

I understand why you so vehemently defend your untenable position.  You have
selected a good market niche to work - the railroads still have plenty of
money to use to hang on to their still sizable global market!  Your efforts
are a stop-gap tool for the railroaders.  Lovins has chosen his niche to
work in promoting his hypercar, his work being supported by automobile
interests and government.  This is a more defendable position than the one
you are in; as the battle between car and train is essentially over in the
US- the new battle is be between aircraft and car, and new technology like
aPRT and ETT. A better position yet would be with the best innovators.

In China, cars have not yet won against trains, and it is likely both cars
and trains in China will be beat at the same time there by new tech. The top
transportation engineering university in China was focused on rail tech.
During the last 3 years they have shifted there focus on new transportation
technology as part of the 10th national 5 year plan of China.  The central
government of China has mandated that all new investments in the key
national labs must be high-tech, leading edge technology -- not following
technology like steel rail - or cars.  China is now leap-frogging into the
lead with fifth generation transport technology development programs at
their top rated transportation university and key national lab.

The ETT program at SWJTU is being led by Dr. Zhang Yaoping, the first et3
licensee in China (there are now 9 et3 licenses in China).  The Chinese
fully understands the benefits and costs of ETT, as by their invitation we
spent 5 months out of the last two years in China.  We were invited to
presented ETT at the highest levels of the scientific and engineering
community of China, and there is wide agreement to the likely benefits and
costs.

I am glad to learn you are ready and willing to get on with objective
analysis of ETT.  I will be at the ATRA annual meeting in DC on the 9th of
January, the first day of TRB. Perhaps we can meet, and I can provide you
with up to date information that is not available on the et3 website.   For
information on joining ARTA see the website http://www.advancedtransit.org .

Daryl Oster
(c) 2004  all rights reserved.  ETT, et3, MoPod, "space travel on earth"
e-tube, e-tubes,  and the logos thereof are trademarks and or service marks
of et3.com Inc.  For licensing information contact:    et3 at et3.com ,
www.et3.com  POB 1423, Crystal River FL 34423-1423  (352)257-1310