[sustran] Bogota dream lives on in city

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Dec 31 05:39:33 JST 2004

Source: http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=112273

Bogota dream lives on in city

<http://www.expressindia.com/about/feedback.html?mailto=vvdeshmukh@expressin
dia.com> Vinita Deshmukh

Pune, December 29: FORMER mayor of Bogota Enrique Penalosa made a visit to
Pune and delivered an inspiring lecture on making a city for citizens and
not cars. Sujit Patwardhan -founder of Parisar - who, along with the PMC,
had organised this visit, speaks about its spillover effect.

What after Penalosa's visit? Are you planning to further his vision in Pune?
The whole idea of the Penalosa visit was to expose Puneites to the
possibility of a different traffic scenario - rather than focusing on
widening roads and building flyovers. Since Penalosa has touched a chord in
the hearts of people - who are feeling deprived of open spaces and whose
children stand vulnerable to accidents - we decided not to confine his visit
only to the officials. We aimed to start a thought process that may lead to
a movement.

What was the reaction to his lectures?
People who have read about his philosophy have begun to question why such a
model cannot be adopted here too, when it became a reality in an
under-developed country! Officials have also developed a soft corner and
have begun talking about mass transit systems along the Bogota pattern.

What is your action plan, since you spearheaded Penalosa's visit?
We are planning to have sessions in different neighbourhoods where we will
make presentations of the Bogota model. We are also planning to organise
meetings with elected representatives which will hopefully throw up a
nucleus of sensible corporators who begin to talk about sustainable
transport systems instead of giving the traditional nod for more roads and
flyovers.

It might just end up in all talk and no implementation. Comment.
True, that various reports for sustainable transport systems have gathered
dust in the PMC but this was a live lecture which painted a picture of a
city which exists. We have urged corporators to visit Bogota and see the
picture for themselves. On our part, we will be keeping up the pressure on
various fronts.