[sustran] Re: Comparing Costs of Modes

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Fri Dec 31 04:43:22 JST 2004

I appreciate feedback on my publications, but I encourage Mr. Oster to more
carefully read my papers before criticizing them.

It is wrong to say that the cost value estimates in "Transportation Cost
and Benefit Analysis" are "pulled from the air." They are based on
literally hundreds of studies that were reviewed and summarized in the
book. How the values are estimated is discussed in detail in each chapter.
You are welcome to disagree with the approach I used, but it is unfair to
claim that they are not based on careful and transparent analysis.

I used a different approach than Mr. Oster to calculate the relative risk
of bicycling. His approach underestimates total cycling mileage and
overestimates the health risks of increased cycling to responsible adults.
As discussed in the chapter, bicycles have a unique risk profile:
significant portion of bicycle fatalities involve child or inexperienced
riders; a significant portion of cycling is ignored or undercounted in
conventional travel surveys (most do not include recreational cycling, or
cycling by children); shorter nonmotorized trips often substitute for
longer motorized trips, and nonmotorized travel provides health benefits
that offset crash risks. Studies of cycle commuters indicate that
responsible adults who bicycle seem to have about the same health risk per
trip as automobile travelers, which is why total per capita traffic
fatalities tend to decline in cities with high rates of bicycle commuting
(see additional discussion in the  report "Safe Travels"
http://www.vtpi.org/safetrav.pdf)

Mr. Oster misunderstands the concept of external crash costs, that is, the
costs of crash risks and damages not borne by users. It is inaccurate to
claim that all crash costs are internalized through insurance. If that were
true than crashes would not be a problem since victims would be fully
compensated. In practice there are significant uncompensated risks and
damages, in fact there must be as an incentive for travelers to be
cautious. This is discussed in the "Safety and Health Costs" chapter.
Motorcycles impose relatively high external costs because they cause
significant injuries and disabilities, a portion of which are not
compensated by insurance, leaving hospitals to cover a portion of medical
costs, government programs to cover a portion of disability costs, and
families and businesses to cover a portion of lost productivity. All of
these issues are well described in the literature and discussed in my book.

Similarly, Mr. Oster has misinterpreted motorcycle parking costs. While it
may be true that  3 or 4 motorcycles *can* park in the place of one car, in
practice, in the U.S. most motorcycles occupy one parking space, either
because this is required, or due to motorcyclist preference. Only in large
facilities where smaller, "motorcycle parking" spaces are provided do
motorcycles use significantly less space to park. My analysis assumes that
motorcycles use 25% less parking space, however, because motorcycles have
lower load factors than automobiles, their parking costs per passenger-mile
are about equal.

Similarly with congestion and roadway land values. Although in some
jurisdictions motorcycles are allowed to share lanes, they seldom do in
congested urban conditions. It is only possible when two motorcycles happen
to be traveling side-by-side, and it is unsafe in stop-and-go conditions.
While it is true that under certain conditions (narrow road, fast motorized
traffic, slow cyclist) cyclists can cause traffic delay, those conditions
are unusual, since they are unpleasant for cyclists, and cyclists are not
allowed at all most urban Interstate highways were more than half of all
traffic congestion occurs. See discussion in http://www.vtpi.org/nmt-tdm.pdf.

Mr. Oster is welcome to dismiss the costs of reduced diversity, barrier
effect and negative land use impacts that result from more motorized
travel, but I recommend reviewing the published literature on these
subjects before calling them "bogus". Since I first included them in my
analysis a decade ago they have become more widely recognized by planning
professionals. See, for example,
David J. Forkenbrock and Glen E. Weisbrod, "Guidebook for Assessing the
Social and Economic Effects of Transportation Projects," NCHRP Report 456,
TRB, (www.trb.org), 2001; Louis Berger Inc., "Guidance for Estimating the
Indirect Effects of Proposed Transportation Projects," NCHRP Report 403,
Transportation Research Board (www.trb.org), 1998.

While these cost categories may not apply in every planning situation, they
are often important to consider. For example, if a community is choosing
between two options for addressing traffic congestion (e.g., widen highways
or improve walking, cycling and transit service), I think most people would
recognize that there are advantages to choosing the option that improves
mobility for non-drivers, reduces barriers to nonmotorized travel, and
encourages more compact development patterns. That is what these cost
values are intended to represent. Mr. Oster may dismiss these issues but
they are based on an extensive and growing body of literature and I'm
pretty sure that they would be considered legitimate by most objective
people who take the trouble to investigate them.

Best New Year wishes to all,
-Todd Litman

Email: litman at vtpi.org
Website: http://www.vtpi.org