[sustran] On leading edge and Principal Voices

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Dec 24 20:59:31 JST 2004

Friday, December 24, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

Let me see if I can handle this in three quick parts:

********************************

1. D. Oster writes on Fri 12/24/2004 5:05 AM:

>> ETT is able to sustainable offer those benefits to the entire world's
population.  Why do so many on this group begrudge this potential?<<

********************************

2. Brendan Finn wrote on the same date

I feel like an unwilling spectator in a parochial argument where

participants have long ago established their arguments and

counter-arguments. This seems to me like a discussion among Americans about

American conditions with American mindsets.

Please excuse us if the other 6 billion plus inhabitants of the globe don't

immediately feel 'embraced' by this discussion. Many of us live in places

where it is possible to live pleasantly without a car, even if we can't

avoid being confronted by it every day. Far, far more people live without a

car because as an option it's just not on the radar. They watch funds and

resources eternally consumed by transport means which are irrelevant to

them, and they see deep resistance to measures which would improve their

lives. "Carfree" is reality for the vast majority of the world's population,

whether by circumstance or by choice.

I will remain polite about some of the "new advanced" means of

transportation. Suffice to say that as the limitations become ever-clearer

of one means of transport which has been and continues to be peddled

mercilessly (and I use the word advisedly) throughout the world, a novel

opportunity is now available to get governments, cities and the public to

invest huge globs of money. I guess everyone is entitled to try to turn a

buck and press his case.

However, please allow the rest of us to get on with transportation solutions

appropriate to our situations.

Brendan Finn,

ETTS Ltd.

********************************

3. I write on this date:

Dear Darryl,

I want you to know that I greatly appreciate the ideas and energy that you
are sharing with us during this Principal Voices gate crashing process, but
I want now to answer your good questions in a way which I am confident is
pretty much in line with that of the almost entirely of this fine
international panel in formation.  Brendan Finn's email above is just one of
a number that I have received on this subject - and may I note all from very
busy people who would not normally have time for this were they not to give
it such importance.  As I do.  So here is where things stand:

1. Your proposal is way out of the time scale of the issues and priorities
of our bottom line concern here, which is sustainable development and social
justice -- and moreover that the issues demand responses that can start to
produce concrete on-street and in-lung results in two or three years. We
simply cannot afford to wait for another distant day, no matter how glorious
it might promise to be.

2. Once the innovators can come to the world with specifics, solid palpable
accomplishments, attractive economics, proofs, and guarantees, well that
might just change everything.  In the meantime, we shall have to wait and
give our attention to stuff that we know works.  Even if it is as primitive
as a good safe walk to where we want to get.

3. There are other places, other panels, other groups that share your
concerns, ideas and time focus, and if you wish I will be pleased to provide
you with a comprehensive listing of these -- not least because there is a
part of my mind that has always been interested in advanced technology
concepts.

4. I intend therefore to see to it that there is one person included in our
highly diversified ad hoc group with solid information on this approach (I
am afraid that I must say in this context: for what it is worth), so be
assured that an opportunity will present itself for at least one measured
plea in favor of high tec and new infrastructure.

*     *     *

Sorry, but that's just about as far as I can take it.  If on the other hand
any of the rest of you, dear, formidable and highly diversified colleagues,
feel that this is unjust or unwise, please get back to me -- perhaps in
private? -- so that I can try to come to grips with this in the more
creative way which I believe is so very important here.  I have been so
wrong so often that I owe it to you all to be ready to reverse myself once
the proof is there.  But not before.

And so in this troubled world that will not wait for us to be wise or
perfect on some distant day, I wish you all,

Salamaat, Shalom, Merry Christmas, and Peace on Earth,

Eric Britton

Convener, The New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org
<http://newmobility.org/>

Free video/voice conferencing at http://newmobilitypartners.org
<http://newmobilitypartners.org/>

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative at http://ecoplan.org
<http://ecoplan.org/>

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara          75006 Paris, France

E: postmaster at newmobility.org          T: +331 4326 1323

--- Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.  Checked by Norton Anti-Virus

The Commons Open Society Sustainability Initiative: Seeking out and
supporting new sustainability concepts for business, entrepreneurs,
activists, community groups, and government; a thorn in the side of hesitant
administrators and politicians; and through our joint efforts, energy and
personal choices, placing them and ourselves firmly on the path to a more
sustainable and more just society.