[sustran] Re: FW: [atraPolicy] principal voices ###

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Fri Dec 24 08:00:37 JST 2004

I feel like an unwilling spectator in a parochial argument where
participants have long ago established their arguments and
counter-arguments. This seems to me like a discussion among Americans about
American conditions with American mindsets.

Please excuse us if the other 6 billion plus inhabitants of the globe don't
immediately feel 'embraced' by this discussion. Many of us live in places
where it is possible to live pleasantly without a car, even if we can't
avoid being confronted by it every day. Far, far more people live without a
car because as an option it's just not on the radar. They watch funds and
resources eternally consumed by transport means which are irrelevant to
them, and they see deep resistance to measures which would improve their
lives. "Carfree" is reality for the vast majority of the world's population,
whether by circumstance or by choice.

I will remain polite about some of the "new advanced" means of
transportation. Suffice to say that as the limitations become ever-clearer
of one means of transport which has been and continues to be peddled
mercilessly (and I use the word advisedly) throughout the world, a novel
opportunity is now available to get governments, cities and the public to
invest huge globs of money. I guess everyone is entitled to try to turn a
buck and press his case.

However, please allow the rest of us to get on with transportation solutions
appropriate to our situations.

Brendan Finn,
ETTS Ltd.