[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] RE: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum - Motorcycle use of bus la nes]

Charlie Lloyd charlie.lloyd at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 05:03:23 JST 2004

On 20 Dec 2004 at 13:21, Wetzel Dave wrote:

> Just had a meeting with motorcyclists to discuss an experiment we have
> been conducting over the past 2 years re allowing powered two wheelers to
> use bus lanes.
>
> Together with a control bus lane corridor we have been assessing the
> before and after effects on three routes re:
>
> Accidents
> Bus journey times
> Traffic speeds
> Other road users
> Cyclists
> Etc.
>
> Any experience with similar experiments or results of wider policy
> implementation you can share?

On the wider policy issues it is important to realise that any claims
of an environmental advantage for motorcycles in urban areas is
bogus.  Generally they do not have catalytic exhaust systems, usually
they carry only one person and as they travel faster with high
revving engines they throw as much muck (per passenger km) as do
cars. For some pollutants they are worse (eg PM10). This is
particularly true in London where all the motorscooters too dirty to
meet Italian emission levels have ended up here.

They are also noisy, causing more stress and annoyance than any other
road transport.

Giving them access to bus lanes will increase their numbers while not
replacing any car journies from the system. Interestingly recent
research commissioned for DfT and TfL ( http://tinyurl.com/5vhfz )
suggests that allowing them in bus lanes will actually increase
congestion by a few percent.

A lot has been written about the poor safety record of motorcycles,
both for their riders and other vulnerable road users especially
pedestrians.  I don't know if the trials in London have shown
significant changes in casualty levels but as they have only been
looking at the trial routes they may miss the extra casualties caused
by more motorcycles on all roads in the system.

Currently motorcycles in London have roughly the same modal share
(no. of journeys) as do bicycles Before adding to the TfL policies
which encourage more motorcycles into the system without reducing car
VMT and which may frighten away cyclists and pedestrians you need to
explain why this is a desirable policy objective.

Charlie Lloyd.