[sustran] Re: [UTSG] reducing interests in vehicular travel by getting rid of the fun in the driving

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Fri Dec 17 00:02:01 JST 2004

These are called "High Occupant Toll Lanes". They reflect a common concern
that HOV lanes often have excess capacity that is wasted. Selling this
excess capacity can generate revenues to help fund the facilities, and
increases total benefits. HOT lanes are therefore considered a politically
acceptable way to introduce congestion pricing into the highway system.

For information see:

William Stockton and Ginger Daniels, "Considerations in Assessing the
Feasibility of High-Occupancy Toll Lanes," Texas Transportation Institute
(http://tti.tamu.edu/documents/7-4915-S.pdf), 2000.

Robert Poole and Kenneth Orski, "Hot Networks: A New Plan For Congestion
Relief And Better Transit," Paper 305, Reason Foundation,
(www.rppi.org/ps305.pdf), 2001.

"HOV Priority," Online TDM Encyclopedia, Victoria Transport Policy
Institute (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm19.htm), 2004.

"Road Pricing," Online TDM Encyclopedia, Victoria Transport Policy
Institute (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm35.htm), 2004.

Their potential impacts are generally small. A High Occupancy Vehicle Lane
can typically accommodate a maximum of about 1,000 vehicles per hour (less
than a general purpose lane, because HOVs are larger than average
automobiles, and because it is important that they never be congested). As
a result, it may be possible to accept 300-600 single-occupant automobiles,
providing  a 5-15% increase in capacity on a typical 6-lane highway, and a
revenue stream of $1,500 to $3,000 per day, assuming a $5 per peak-period
toll. This is nowhere near the funding needed to fully finance an
additional urban highway lane.

The effectiveness of HOT lanes depends on the price structure used. If the
price is too low, the facility will experience congestion, reducing the
performance for both single-occupant vehicle users and HOV users, resulting
in reduced transit and ridesharing. It is therefore important for the sake
of overall transportation system efficiency that HOT facilities be managed
to favor HOV performance.

I personally support HOT lanes, because I think it is appropriate to fully
utilize roadway capacity, they give motorists a new option (i.e., paying to
drive on an uncongested lane occasionally, when it is appropriate),
provides new funding, and allows motorists to experience road pricing in a
positive way. However, I think it is important to realize that their
benefits are modest, and they must be properly managed to avoid spoiling
HOV priority benefits.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 02:31 PM 12/15/2004 +0000, Wetzel Dave wrote:
>Todd wrote:
>"One of the best features of pricing is that rates can be adjusted to
>reflect changes in demand and planning objectives. To manage congestion,
>rates should be higher during peak periods and lower during off-peak
>periods, and can increase over time as demand grows, ....."
>
>I visited Minneapolis last month during the Presidential elections.
>Next Spring they are going to introduce charging on the High Occupancy
>Vehicle Lane (HOV, Diamond Lane) for single occupant vehicles on one of
>their Interstate Highways.
>
>This lane, in the middle of the highway, alternates for peak flows.
>It is currently well under-occupied by HOVs.
>
>They intend to charge up to $8 for single occupant vehicles to enter the
>lane.
>The congestion will be measured every six minutes - and the price adjusted
>accordingly, every six minutes.
>You only pay as you join through one of six entry points.
>If the lane is congested at $8 then it will be closed to non-HOV traffic
>completely.
>
>I think something similar already exists elsewhere in the USA.
>

>Dave
>Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Email: litman at vtpi.org
Website: http://www.vtpi.org