[sustran] Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] Taxis at night and safe transport for women.

Michael Yeates michaelm at myoffice.net.au
Mon Dec 13 08:22:27 JST 2004

Hi Dave and all,

This should not be viewed (only?) as a gendered issue but rather as a level
of service based on "access for all" ... ie a question of level of service
expectations of which security and service continuity and frequency are
important ... but service provision, essential ...!

It seems to be yet another story about the futility of relying on
competition and privatisation ... rather than integrated service provision.

A rather happier story (hopefully still in existence unless the economists
and road-funders triumphed over public transport users needs) was the
so-called night-taxi system in operation in Graz in Austria.

Given that public transport (in the case of Graz, primarily trams with
buses mainly serving on extension and link routes) is expensive, it makes
sense to not run public transport very late at night ... from an economists
perspective.

Therefore many low demand services are shut down which is of course a
logical and rational conclusion.

But from a public transport users perspective, that is of course completely
the wrong solution.

Reduced services and interconnections means that less people use the
service, less security occurs with less people, the issues of the "wrong
types of people" emerges, and with reduced patronage, an excuse to further
cut the services.

So in Graz, rather than run the public transport at a big loss at night,
the public transport "progressively" closes down and taxis take over .. it
is apparently cheaper for the public transport organisation(s) to pay the
taxis a contracted subsidy than it is to run the public transport ... so
the taxis know that there will be passengers along the remaining public
transport routes until they too shut down.

 From then on, the taxis operate as the public transport system .. you
provide your ticket as you would on the public transport ... the taxi then
claims a contracted fare from the public transport supplier ... the taxis
get a much higher fare than the fare already paid to the public transport
by the passenger of course ... but that "cost" becomes a "saving", it is
offset as a large saving from not running public transport into the period
when the losses are simply too big.

AND most importantly, by providing public transport users with a reliable
cheap, safe, 24 hour service ... which in some ways is actually IMPROVED
rather than made worse in the period when most public transport services
either shut down or run skeleton services, patronage support and loyalty is
maintained if not increased..

Effectively this is a very simple conceptual exercise in integration and
from my very limited experience of it in 1999, it seemed to work well.
Certainly people said they rarely had need of a car because they could
always rely on the public transport with the night taxi system.

The taxi drivers soon know where and how to find passengers ... they
actually get much more work at night and probably a reduced proportion of
undesirable passengers (than they otherwise would) so there is an incentive
to keep the cabs on the road ... and the passengers regard it as equivalent
or better level of service (ie safer at night, more convenient etc) than
the "normal" public transport LOS.

The taxis cluster where they expect to get passengers ... much as a
bus<>rail integrated system ... so in the normal operations, buses do the
integration, after hours it is the taxis.

But it is possible to dramatically improve this system in an example of
integrated service provision.
In the case of Graz and its trams (I understand the buses all stop at about
the same time across the network), imagine if the trams could be fitted
with taxi call systems such that when the tram arrives at a stop, there is
a reduced or zero waiting time for the taxi to arrive at the stop to
complete the passengers journey.

It is not hard to imagine this working to achieve the aims sought in the
email below.

Ideal world .. perhaps.

But it does show the need to provide an integrated system that values
customers and of course, Graz has been a leading demonstrator of the need
to reduce the priority given to cars ... using a very complex but always
well integrated suite of both carrots and sticks.

The night taxi was one of the carrots ... I hope it has survived the
economists ...

regards

Michael Yeates
Public Transport Alliance