[sustran] Taxis at night and safe transport for women.

Wetzel Dave Davewetzel at tfl.gov.uk
Fri Dec 10 21:31:57 JST 2004

We have a problem in London that despite the Mayor increasing taxi night
fares, there are not enough licensed taxis operating at night and giving a
"hail and ride" service.
Most "black cab" drivers are self-employed and we can not force them to
operate at night.
We are experimenting with special ranks for taxi drivers on their final
journeys to match a "fare" who is going broadly in the same direction. (But
this is only a marginal increase in supply for some journeys and as most
taxi drivers live in East London this area gets offered a better service).

This shortage of licensed taxis leads to dangers for paxs (especially women)
who coming out of clubs in the early hours only find illegal "touts"
offering private car rides for cash.

Not only can people be ripped off on the price but by far the most transport
related rapes and assaults take place in these illegal vehicles.

We are licensing "minicabs" and other private hire operators but they can
only respond to telephone bookings or to paxs who attend their office. They
are not licensed for street hailing.

The National Rail suburban services tend to operate their last trains well
before midnight and most Underground lines close at about 1am.
Our Mayor is consulting Londoners on the option of Friday and Saturday
Underground trains running one hour later at night (finishing in the early
hours) but with the knock-on of trains starting one hour later Sat and Sun
mornings to allow for engineering works to have the same time.

We have extended our night bus operation (with CCTV cameras on board) across
London and reduced the premium night  bus fares to normal day-time levels
but even these services leave people vulnerable for the final leg of their
journey walking from the bus stop to their home. (This is not a theoretical
risk, this year we have had a number of assaults and two murders).

We are told that Madrid and some other cities do not have these taxi
problems at night.

London is a 24 hour City and we do need to address this problem.

Is there any research or practical experience that could indicate a solution
for us?

Please copy Luke Howard  e-mail:  lukehoward2 at tfl.gov.uk  	and myself
into any reply.

Tks (and seasonal greetings)

Dave
Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.
Tel: 020 7941 4200
Intl Tel: +44  207 941 4200

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at tfl.gov.uk.