[sustran] Mobilien? Paris? Wha?

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Dec 7 18:25:58 JST 2004

Quick introduction:

As you know (I hope) our 20/20 Challenge Initiative is based on a targeted
Kyoto-complaint reduction of 20% of traffic/pollution (you chose) in a 20
month period, after an intense 3 month planning and negotiation preparatory
phase has laid a solid base for success (see http://newmobility.org then
click 20/20 Challenge.)  And of course one of the central keys to this is
the shifting of the scarce urban infrastructure to high capacity carriers
(i.e., not SOVs... single occupancy... ).

And you know too about our wonderful friends in Curitiba, Bogota and
increasingly more places in the world who have been pushing the envelope on
high capacity separate busways
 but not with taking yet more of that scarce
infrastructure but rather converting what can only be called egregiously
inefficient used street space to these better high throughput uses.

Well, the transport planning team in Paris has got the message, and we now
invite you to have a look at the first stages of the next stage of their
Mobilien program, think TransMilenio but this time in the middle of a grand
boulevard in Paris. Have a look at
http://www.paris.fr/fr/Deplacements/mobilien/1_a_presentation.asp.   The
site is of course in French, and being French it has no indication of the
fact that this is part of a much broader world wide trend (but be that as it
may, we love our hexagon). There are also a number of plans and pictures
which give a good idea of what they are up to, and a little video showing
user reactions to a first generation project started last year.

Quick translation/gist:

Even if French is not your best language, you who know so much about the
issues should be able to do very well if you click
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ in a second browser window and combine your
knowledge, feel and a bit of detective work to get something like 98% feel
for what they are up to.

Here is a raw sample of their introduction to get you going:

The city, the area, l'Etat, the STIF and the RATP were linked so that the
Mobilien project becomes a reality.

Within the framework of its policy again division of l'espace public and d
amelioration of the road safety, the Town hall of Paris intends to increase
the quality of the service and safety in public transport. As well as the
project of the tram, Mobilien constitutes a key element d'une new mobility
ecological in Paris. Since the design jusqu'à the realization, the Town of
Paris, and in particular the Management of the Roadway system and
Displacements, catalyses l'ensemble actors concerned with the transport
policy in Paris and in Island of France in order to build the Mobilien
network

Comments? Suggestions for the Paris team (led by Denis Baupain (Monsieur
Paris Plage,
http://www.a-matter.com/eng/projects/Paris-Plage-pr070-01-q.asp) at
denis.baupin at mairie-paris.fr )

Question/Offer: Should we organize a first free videoconference via
http://newmobilitypartners.org to talk about this at one point.  Denis does
speak English and a multi-way exchange with him might be a great way to
launch this new arm of our New Mobility Agenda.  Let me know of your
eventual interest – once you have checked out that page and perhaps even try
a first test conversation with me to make sure it will work for you – and we
can then see what we can do to set it up.

Eric

PS. If Mayor Bertrand Delanoë and his team keep up with their innovations
showing the way in Europa and indeed in the West or North or whatever we
should be calling it cities, they begin to emerge possibly as next year’s
candidate for us to push for next year’s World Technology Environment Prize,
on the heels of the success that many of us had a hand in for drawing
attention to Mayor Ken Livingstone’s great accomplishment with the London
Congestion Charging program.  Again, comments?

Convener, The New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org
<http://newmobility.org/>

Free video/voice conferencing: Click to http://newmobilitypartners.org
<http://newmobilitypartners.org/>

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative at http://ecoplan.org
<http://ecoplan.org/>

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara          75006 Paris, France

E: postmaster at newmobility.org          T: +331 4326 1323

--- Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.  Checked by Norton Anti-Virus