[sustran] Car free days redux ("Let the people plant their acorns.....

Tramsol at aol.com Tramsol at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 17:14:18 JST 2004

Eric

You are clearly aiming for a personal or list-purge on pessimissm (or
pessimists). lets consider what can be done with individuals planting theri own
small acorns.

In the UK you can apply fro a private street closure, and many streets  which
have managed to retain a sens of community are doing this, as are
institutions the world reknowned Glasgow School of Art now closes the  street outside
and has people strolling around, with music etc for their degree  day viewings,
the vastly improved ambience is leading others to consider doing  likewise,
and perhaps more than just a closure for the degree-day, why not one  every
month, and then since perhaps the local shop will do several £'000's worth  of
extra business (as the corner shop on Curtain Road did for the Shoreditch
Triangle car free area last year - on its first happening) and soon you muight  get
a suggestion of closing a street at least once a week and ...hey it isn't
really causing the chaos we expected, and people are actually enjoying it, and
spending money etc...

My real aim would be to see more events like the Seattle I-5 and Toronto  Don
Valley Parkway closures - London might close the M40 /Westway, Glkasgow the
M8 over the Kingston Bridge, as these roads can be closed and traffic diverted
 for road works - so why not a Sunday and turn the lot over to people powered
 travel - cycling, jogging, roller blading 6 to 8 lanes wide - Paris has done
 this with the city beach (although the real challenge might be the
Perephique).

I reckon that there is a parallel conservatism in the thinking of those who
run roads networks under strain from motor traffic overload, and those who run
 public transport - both very nervous about change - even a minor change (of
fares or timetables) can make or break a company, and likewise even small
changes like giving greater priority to the majority traffic (pedestrians) in
town gives nightmares to those riding the Tiger.  I have a Streube Cartoon
from a wartime compendium quoting an Indian proverb "He who rides a tiger can
never dismount" picturing Hitler riding the Tiger he has set on a course of
war.  Many of those battling with congestion and mounting motor traffic  levels
are quite likely trapped in a porogramme they are frightened to  abandon.
Little, friendly measures like car free days are the way to  slowly win them
round, and provide the securing leash for their tiger with a set  of steps to
dismount, but be sure that each year moves forward with a little  more challenge to
make the event more memorable.

Dave  Holladay
Transportation Management Solutions - working with CTC on Public  Transport
Campaigns
CTC - The National Cyclists Organisation - Working for  Cycling since 1878

(Glasgow)
6 Woodlands Terrace
Glasgow
G3  6DH