[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi' -" E pur si muove"

J Krishnayya sri at pn1.vsnl.net.in
Thu Aug 26 14:12:18 JST 2004

Dear Eric,

Thank you for the thoughtful note. I agree that motor cycles are a recent
mass phenomena which our understanding of "traffic" does not really
encompass.

Here in Pune, for example we have 40x the number of mc that existed 20 years
ago.

One possible innovative way of thinking about the role of mc is the fact
that they are used largely by working persons to get from home to workploace
with no stops (often a 15 km journey), or by college students. This might
constitute perhaps 70% of mc users.

Would it help if we created Large (Urban) Bus Stations, with attached
parking for mc (users would ride from home) from where express (ac?) busses
would go to interchange points in the Industrial areas (from where a feeder
bus system would provide frequent links to each plant), as well as to other
focal points such as colleges, "downtown" etc.  These Bus Stations would
have book shops, coffee shops, etc. Many of our long-distance bus terminals
already are like this, except that they are too crowded, wet, dirty, etc..

These bus stations could be leased or franchised to private parties who
might then compete to keep them attractive.

Just a thought.

J G Krishnayya
Prof J G Krishnayya
Executive Director,