[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Craig Townsend townsend at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Aug 26 01:09:08 JST 2004

Dear Hung,

I'm not sure who "we" is, but in my opinion there is a need for more
research on of motorcycles in cities of the developing world and
particularly Asia. There appears to be a need for comparable data on the
"the real conditions" of the costs of motorcycles in comparison to all
modes and to their role and how public policies could be designed to
mitigate the costs while expanding the benefits. On a more practical level,
funding will be required. As Jonathan suggests, there is unlikely to be
interest from national or city governments so it would probably have to be
research funding in conjunction with a university or an international
organization. Personally, I doubt I will pursue this further, but I hope
that someone out there may run with it.

Obviously, if PMs or Cabinet ministers have personal financial stakes in
automobile or road-building industries or oil companies, it is unlikely
they are going to adopt policies that would slow the growth in motor
vehicles and the consumption of fuel. In that case, maybe lobbying for
conflict of interest legislation and exposing the business dealings of the
powerful to the media would be a better use of the resources of those of us
seeking urban transport systems which promote the well-being of the
less-advantaged and the low status people. This will be a big challenge in
developing cities such as Bangkok where very few have very much, but it is
also an ongoing challenge in the cities of the industrialized world.

Craig