[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Craig Townsend townsend at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Aug 25 23:11:43 JST 2004

Thanks Hung,

Just a few clarifications.

1. Regarding the fuel consumption: I am my self a motorcyclist, I have a
>normal Japanese moped (HONDA DREAM II 100 cc). Every week I have to pay
>about VND 12.000 (80 US Cent) for gasoline (about 2 litter), the total trip
>length is aboout 120-150 km/week. So, I guest that you will have your own
>calculation with your car. So, what is cheaper?. In addition, I need only
>1m2 for parking this MC.

I was thinking of all modes of transport (walking, cycling, public bus,
minibus, car, taxi, railway, busway, etc) and not just comparing private
motorbikes and private cars, and all costs direct (vehicle purchase costs,
vehicle operating costs, costs of infrastructure) and indirect costs
(accidents, air and noise pollution, severance effects of infrastructure,
costs of using non-renewable resources etc). I was also thinking about the
costs etc of the entire transport system and not just individual vehicles.
(e.g. similar to the difference between fuel-efficient cities and fuel
efficient cars, see Newman and Kenworthy, 1989).

>4. Again, I would like to bring the social attitude to add into your
>discussion. In Singapore, the current thinking of people is different from
>Thai or Vietnam. As you may recorgnized that after 40 years of many
>Congestion Reducing Efforts, the pedestrian zone is just adopted in
>Singapore. So, I guest that the mind of people in Singapore in 1970 or 1980

Yes, Singapore has been on a very different path in its urban transport
development since the early 1970s. But I see no evidence that
decision-makers in Bangkok or Hanoi are taking similar actions and
decisions to those made in Singapore 30 years ago, so I doubt that it is
just a case of all cities following the same path (see Paul Barter's 1999
PhD thesis on this topic).

>is similar to Thai and Vietnamese today. I am agree that there are some ones
>in Thailand or Vietnam may have better attitude toward NMV, but they are few
>and have no power. On the other hand, the son of Primeminister Phan Van Khai
>started his car business in 2003. So, what should we do?

As well-connected and educated planners, activists, students and teachers
we should in our daily practice point out these conflicts of interest of
those in power and seek to address the interests of those with less power!
We should help people in our communities envision what they want for the
future and the actions that we can take together to make it a reality.

Regards,

Craig Townsend