[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Craig Townsend townsend at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Aug 25 06:28:19 JST 2004

I would like to add a few points to this great discussion:

1. This discussion is being carried out based on observations rather than
systematic or empirical research, thus it is hard to assess any claim such
as motorcycles contribute more/less than other modes to the use of energy,
fatalities, etc, in a given city in comparison with other cities or within
a city. If anyone knows of such research, references would help the
discussion. Some data collected on Asian cities indicate that petrol use in
Bangkok is higher per capita than in any other city surveyed in Asia
(including Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong), so it would be hard to argue that
the proliferation of motorcycles has contributed to energy efficiency of
the transport system as a whole (although perhaps in outer suburban areas
they may be better than buses).

2. Motorcycles are a mode catering to individual travel and are hence less
useful than some other modes to activities involving travel by multiple
individuals and individuals carrying things. In some cities this could
translate into a bias against women who are often responsible for looking
after children and carrying goods (while men may be doing more individual
commuting to and from the workplace). Empirical data on sex and motorcycle
use would help.

3. It is hard to know whether Thailand's particular class system is a cause
or a consequence of transport conditions. (i.e. are non-motorized transport
conditions poor because the users of that infrastructure are people with
low social status or are they forced to use that infrastructure because
they have low social status?) One argument for the proposition that
"non-motorized transport conditions are poor because the users of that
infrastructure are people with low social status" is that high status
people in Bangkok do walk, but it is in air conditioned, privatized spaces
such as shopping malls. (This activity is not picked up in the travel
survey data.) Also, a large and growing segment of the upper middle class
and wealthy social strata in Bangkok now pay to walk on treadmills! (See
the second floor health club at the intersection of Soi Convent and Silom
Road!)

4. While the heat and humidity certainly make walking outside in Bangkok
uncomfortable and tiring, I don't believe they are sufficient to explain
the remarkably low levels of walking recorded in travel surveys. In other
cities such as Singapore where it is a little hotter and more humid people
(both foreign visitors and locals) walk a lot more than in Bangkok
(although probably far less than they would if sidewalk conditions and
distances were the same but the temperature was significantly cooler). A
danger in the argument given by many people in Thailand that they are
culturally-programmed not to walk (and that their culture cannot change) is
that no attempt is made to provide decent public sidewalks or even to halt
the continuing deterioration in quality and quantity. The only significant
recent sidewalk improvement measures in Bangkok have been undertaken in
areas catering for rich locals and tourists or in areas linked to luxury
shopping centres.

Best regards,

Craig Townsend