[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Paul Barter paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Mon Aug 23 10:56:59 JST 2004

In the responses to this question I wonder if there is some confusion
over what Anil meant? Maybe Anil can clarify to avoid further confusion.
Various answers seem to be refering to one of the following:

A.  bicycle taxis (where a paying passenger sits on a seat behind the
rider and which I have seen in the Kota district of Jakarta for example,
and read about in Uganda);

B.  pedicabs (three-wheeled pedalled vehicles as taxis, also called
cycle rickshaws, becak and many other names. Variations exist in many
countries, especially in Asia)

or
C.  Motorcycle taxis (which are common in Bangkok, in many Indonesian
cities and towns, where they are called 'ojek', and probably elsewhere.)
I think this is probably what Anil meant, given his reference to
Bangkok?)

Paul

--------
Anil K. Raut" <ankraut at wlink.com.np> wrote:
"Could anyone help me finding out information on 'Bike Taxi'? I have
seen it in Bangkok. Are there other cities using it? What are the
environmental benefit/cost of these bike taxies?"