[sustran] Re: FW: [cai-asia] Asian AirE-mail News Digest Vol. 1, Issue 5 (13 August 2004)

John Ernst itdpasia at adelphia.net
Sun Aug 22 21:43:22 JST 2004

Thanks for forwarding this, Paul.  It is interesting to me that this
newsletter is coming from the Clean Air Initiative, and yet the editorial
angle does not seem to distinguish between events that work for, or
against, that initiative.

Although, it is mostly objective, the small existing bias seems to be very
naive in terms of transport policy.  For example, a negative implication
for increasing gas taxes, and the general interest in erasing traffic jams
without considering the long-term implications of improving the convenience
of  the private vehicle mode.

These two snips are examples:

>Fresh traffic woes hit valley folk
>
>MetroKL (10 Aug 2004) - KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA: ON June 2, Klang Valley
>motorists heaved a sigh of relief when a stretch of the New Klang Valley
>Expressway near Bukit Lanjan reopened after six months following a
>rockfall.
>Palace insists on oil tax, Bill seeks P2/liter levy hike to raise P29.7B
>
>Carlito Pablo, Inquirer News Service, Agence France-Presse (Updated
>11:54pm (Mla time) 08 Aug 2004) - PHILIPPINES: AS IF spiraling world oil
>prices were not enough, Filipino consumers are being asked to "bite the
>bullet" and bear new taxes on petroleum products.

[Note that this comment is my own, and not necessarily that of ITDP.]

John Ernst   -  Director, Asia Region
    ITDP - The Institute for Transport and Development Policy
Subscribe to ITDP's Sustainable Transport e-update at www.itdp.org