[sustran] under-representation of women in transport-related fora

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 20 17:58:45 JST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Tanzarn Nite [mailto:ntanzarn at ss.mak.ac.ug]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 9:52 AM
To: Gender and Transport
Subject: [gatnet] Re: Invitation to visit, possibly join New Mobility
Agenda?

I am called Nite Tanzarn, a female Ugandan. I have been working in the
transport sector as a researcher/consultant for some time now  with a
focus
on socio-economic and gender concerns. I am preparing for my Phd on
Gendered
Time Poverty in Development Management - Maximising the (economic)
Benefits
of Investment in Roads - the focus is on women's relative immobility
related
to work burden, inadequate access (infrastructure and means of
transport)
and how this renders their labour non-transferable from the domestic to
the
market economy.

I would be interested in joining the New Mobility Agenda. I have also
been
concerned about the under-representation of women in transport-related
fora.
Many times I attend meetings/workshops where I am the only woman. The
expressions that I see on the male colleagues' faces many times read:
"What
are you doing here." I acknowledge the inroads that have been made
(gatnet
being one of them, thanks to Pri) but a lot more needs to be done. I
hope
that this fora will not only improve women's visibility in the sector
but
also contribute to addressing other prevalent gender inequalities in the

sector.
Best Regards
Nite

sustran-discuss-bounces+eric.britton=ecoplan.org at list.jca.apc.org