[sustran] Re: We have a major problem here, and you can help to set it right.

i-ce at cycling.nl i-ce at cycling.nl
Wed Aug 11 22:51:40 JST 2004

Dear all,

I understand what Brendan means. I will give you all, as a woman and
as an "outsider" my point of view.
I am a woman and urban designer, interested in cycling (and walking).
The sustran-Discussions seem to me sometimes very personal and
based on own experiences rather than on broad experience. (Like: I
once was in the bus in..... and I noticed). Please note that I mentioned
sometimes ;-)
I am not a traffic engineer. For me there is much more to life than
sustainable transport. The Bogota story is about public space. I know
the BRT system there is a wide success and without a BRT system you
won't be able to create space for pedestrians and cyclists, but a really
important part of the model is the importance of public space for
society.

When you think of adding topic to invite more people: we receive
already lots of emails when it is only about busses. Maybe it is already
existing without me noticing it, but what about a website where you can
place discussion document (it takes more time to prepare, to think and
the opportunity to leave out offences) and people can react to that.
These discussions can be one specific topics. The emails are only to let
everybody know that there is something new and interesting to find
there about....

Well, that was it for this female urban designer.

Kind regards to all of you.

Danielle Wijnen

On 11 Aug 2004 at 13:22, Brendan Finn wrote:

> Dear Kisan and Eric,
>
> I think Kisan's points are interesting.
>
> I would also add that style and tone of discussions may also have something to do with it. Guys
> tend to seek victory in their participation, whether through "robust argument", inflicting crushing
> defeat on the opposition, or carefully structured arguments designed to show futility of alternative
> viewpoints. Not everyone considers this to be 'discussion', and some will avoid participation in
> what they perceive to be a gladiatorial pit.
>
> Just a thought :o)
>

> Brendan Finn.
> Contact details are : e-mail : etts at indigo.ie tel : +353.87.2530286

I-ce = Interface for Cycling Expertise