[sustran] Re: Motorcycles Transportation Vietnam

Hiep Duc Nguyen hduc at airmoon.epa.nsw.gov.au
Wed Apr 28 10:39:02 JST 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Brendan Finn wrote:

> Craig,
>
> For the high level of transport deaths in Ho Chi Minh City, I wonder how
> many of them were four+ wheelers against 2-wheelers or pedestrians, and how
> many were wallies-on-wheels that would manage to kill themselves in any
> scenario (as in Thailand during the annual festival). It would be
> interesting to know whether the inherent safety of two-wheelers and
> pedestrians (excluding the wild boys) is low, medium or high.
>
> It seems to me that two-wheeler and pedestrian traffic in itself is safe,
> but it just cannot co-exist with larger vehicles. And since the latter are
> determined to be on the streets, gentler forms of transport must be removed
> for their own safety.

Hi Brendan, Craig and all,

The high traffic accidents in Vietnam generally and in Ho Chi Minh City
particularly are mostly due to the lack of basic traffic rules and
the driver knowledges.

There are no requirement (licence, age limit..) to ride a bicycle or
motorcycle (except one above 50cc). Once on the road, you instincly 'flow'
with the flow, there is hardly any lane separation. The roundabouts on the
outskirt of HCM City, where highway city-bound traffic merges with city
traffic, witness many fatal accidents. And there are many such roundabouts
in and around HCM City. Even minor accidents can be deadly because there
are no safety gear to protect riders (such as helmets). On the highway
outside the cities, the main killers are speeding and overtaking by car,
bus or truck drivers.

I believe that traffic rules, driver education, enforcement will help to
reduce the high rate of traffic accidents in Vietnam.

Cheers,
Hiep Duc
Atmospheric Scientist
Department of Environment & Conservation, NSW
Lidcombe, NSW 2141, Australia