[sustran] Re: UK Funding switch from Light Rail to Busway

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 27 01:32:13 JST 2004

The situation Brendan describes in Ireland seems to be almost universal.
As I found in my work (and as Don Pickrell established before me),
forecasts are overestimated, costs underestimated and -- more important --
there is a lack of realistic analysis of alternatives, which are assumed
to be inferior from the start. Such analysis as takes place is usually
biased: For example, a rail plus feeder bus network is compared to a bus
only network, but the cost of the feeder buses is left out!

In case any of you have not yet seen Randy O'Toole's response to Todd
Litman, I am posting it below. I differ from Randy on his views of sprawl,
and support the provision of public transport with public subsidies where
appropriate, but I believe his analysis should be noted. My own analysis,
(which I will be pleased to send anyone interested), shows that new rail
projects in the US are a failure in every case except San Diego, and we do
need to look at the record of such new projects to understand what is
happening and not look at data for New York which really is not going to
tell us much about the likelihood of success in rather different
situations.

                               --Jonathan

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Transportation Engineering program
School of Civil Engineering, Room N260B               02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Ms. Nisarat Hansuksa
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6051
					      Intl:  662 524-6051
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/