[sustran] Re: Motorcycles Transportation Vietnam

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 12:42:18 JST 2004

Brendan,

Those are excellent questions which we can't really address with the aggregate
data. (Actually, this would seem to be a ripe research agenda - the question
of what constitutes "inherent safety" levels!) Some classification of the
types and attributed causes of accidents would be required. That so many of
the victims are children would suggest that it's not just guys racing at
night, but that's just speculation on my part.

As for questions of traffic mixing, I recently read a paper (Zacharias, John.
2003. The search for sustainable transport: The case of Tianjin, International
Development Planning Review, 25:3, pp. 283-299) which suggests that in Tianjin
a high level of self-regulation of different sized vehicles (include bikes and
cars) is achieved.

There seems to be agreement that if alcohol and excessive speed are involved
in motor vehicle accidents, then enforcement of laws prohibiting those
behaviours would help. I can't speak about Vietnam, but in Thailand which I
know relatively well, that would involve a complete overhaul of the policing
and legal system to have police officers enforce an agreed-upon set of traffic
laws and penalities evenly across social groups and through formal channels.

Cheers,
Craig