[sustran] Re: Motorcycles Transportation Vietnam

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 25 14:53:58 JST 2004

I am not sure we are looking at the whole picture in an adequate way.

I travelled extensively in Cambodia last winter, and my main means of
getting round was motorbike taxi. I travelled hundreds of kilometers
through the countryside on broken up roads as well as in urban areas and
was a bright orange-dust colour by the end of it!

My observation was that the motorcycle is clearly an important means of
transport in Cambodia, but that no attention is given to the
management of motorcycle versus other traffic flows or to safety issues.
Driving is generally on the level of the insane. To start with, helmets
are rarely if ever worn. At one point in Phnom Penh, my driver suddenly
swerved into and then started dodging through oncoming traffic on the
wrong side of the road. He told me that he had seen a policeman and was
worried about being arrested because he was not registered -- interesting
that registration (which involves paying fees) is enforced, but safety is
not.

Motorcycles are often used as family cars. I have seen as many as five
people on board. Children never have head protection and are often
sandwiched between adults. If only one adult is on board, very small
children will often simply cling on to the back of the parent and could
easily be dislodged and flung into the road.

There is no urban public transport anywhere in Cambodia except for the
extraordinary wooden platforms hauled by motorcycles in Phnom Penh and
used by the poorest of factory workers to get to and from shifts. It is an
amazing sight to see these in action: nothing more than flat boards on
which twenty people are loaded without any protection or shade.

We do have to recognize that the motorcycle provides an important source
of mobility in countries like Cambodia. The important thing is to regulate
usage: proper handling and safety issues need to be taught and enforced.
In urban areas, road markings should recognize the volume of motorcycles
and provide segregated and safe facilities. Action should be taken to
control the pollution levels of bikes.

Individual mobility is not bad in itself. Everyone aspires to have it, and
it makes life a lot easier. It should not be the preserve of the wealthy
alone. The problem is controlling the negative environmental consequences
of that mobility, and in the case of the motorcycle, there is a lot that
can be done while recognizing the flexibility and convenience of a mode
of transport low-income people can aspire to in countries which lack the
resources to develop public transport facilities or where, frankly, scarce
resources may be more importantly needed in other areas of social action.
Transport is not something to be looked at in a vacuum, but only in the
context of the full range of urban problems and demands for resources.

                                                         --Jonathan

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Craig Townsend wrote:

> Craig and Brendan,
>
> While I agree that the functioning of Vietnam's motorcycle-based
> urban transport systems are rather remarkable, we should not overlook the
> incredibly high transport related injuries and deaths. According to data
> collected on 100 cities worldwide in 1995, in terms of transport
> deaths per passenger kilometre of motorized travel, Ho Chi Minh City ranked
> worst out of 100 cities from developing and developed countries. These numbers
> have grown far worse over the last 10 years (rougly a four fold increase), and
> the road toll (which have become the leading cause chilrens' deaths in
> Vietnam) is now a major concern of the government of Vietnam and the World
> Health Organisation.
>
> Craig Townsend
>
> Quoting Brendan Finn <etts at indigo.ie>:
>
> > Craig,
> >
> > I agree with your assessment. I visited Hanoi last year. After the initial
> > shock of the waves of two-wheelers, I began to understand that it really
> > does flow, sort of like a large shoal of fish, Each individual really does
> > have a sense of those around them, and behaves in a quite predictable way.
> > It's also clear that while they may look chaotic, each rider does behave in
> > a collision-avoidance mode. I did not once observe a collision or anyone
> > falling off their bicycle to avoid a collision. It's the first time I had
> > come across such level of two-wheeler use, and it was obvious that it works
> > really well.
> >
> > My observation was that all forms of two-wheelers (even those with 12-foot
> > pipes!) can interact very well with each other. Further, pedestrians can
> > quite easily cross the flows, as long as you time it reasonably well and
> > behave predictably (my initially-terrified wife agreed on this one,
> > eventually).
> >
> > However, the introduction of even one car into this changed the picture
> > dramatically. The scale of the car makes it a blockage, and the driving
> > style means that it barges its way through, unwilling or unable to interact
> > sensitively with the two-wheelers. I do not believe that cars and
> > two-wheelers on Hanoi scale can interact safely.
> >
> > I didn't come to a conclusion about buses. Because there are far fewer of
> > them than cars, they are highly visible, and they drive slowly in a
> > predictable (albeit unyielding) way, it seems that a certain number of buses
> > can be absorbed in the flow of two-wheelers.
> >
> > My personal opinion is that as a pedestrian I was far safer crossing the
> > streets of down-town Hanoi than almost any where else I have been.
> > Nonetheless, I believe that the promoters of automobiles will win, and that
> > very shortly two-wheeler travel will have become extremely dangerous due to
> > the number of cars. Since it is the mode of availability and affordability
> > for over 95% of Vietnamese, they will continue to use it and will suffer
> > high rates of casualty.
> >

> > Brendan Finn,
> [...]

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Transportation Engineering program
School of Civil Engineering, Room N260B               02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Ms. Nisarat Hansuksa
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6051
					      Intl:  662 524-6051
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/