[sustran] Re: (fwd) [UTSG] transport strategy transfer

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Sun Apr 25 06:37:34 JST 2004

Jonathon,

Taking Bangkok as an example, is there any practical way to provide bus
services on a commercial basis at fares affordable to the poor with anything
other than low-quality, low-cost buses ? If there is, I'd like to hear it,
since it seems to be an intractable puzzle in many countries.

My experience in the CIS is that you can cover direct operating costs of old
vehicles at low fares. To move to a new vehicle - however basic - requires a
premium fare compared to the "social" fare. In part this reflects the high
cost of capital, linked to low security of tenure on the route, and hence
higher interest both to reflect the risk and the lack of financial weight of
the borrower. In greater part, though, is the relative cost of hard assets
compared to the fares income. In Russia, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan, I have
seen no shortage of takers for the premium fare services, which offer a much
higher quality of service in the eyes of the users - a seat, speed,
cleanliness, and much less unwanted proximity (especially for women). Of
course, this leaves the social travel and the poorest with the low-cost
services, leading them inexorably down the sinkhole.

I find myself agreeing with others that BRT in itself should not have
negative impact on low-cost services, unless they are excluded from it
simply because they are deemed not modern enough. In that case the fault is
not BRT but the implemented policies. But there is a very valid case to
exclude rustbuckets and unroadworthy vehicles. There is also a very good
case to exclude stopping services where they hamper the flow of other bus
services.

I guess a factor to take into account is whether the economy and people's
wages and living conditions are in transition. It is reasonable to aim to
transform the public transport services to better quality in line with the
improvements experienced in other walks of life, and to charge more for it.

With best wishes,

Brendan Finn,
ETTS, Ireland.

Contact details are : e-mail : etts at indigo.ie   tel : +353.87.2530286