[sustran] Sustainable Mobility Principles, Practices & Priorities

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Fri Apr 23 22:31:49 JST 2004

Dear Eric,

This is a good start on an important issue.

Your list seems to be a combination of sustainable transportation
principles, practices, goals, objectives and indicators. The danger is that
a list like that reflects your own special concerns and priorities, and so
implies that sustainability is simply a matter of personal opinion or
preference. For any sort of planning I think it is useful to start with
general principles and work toward more specific practices, goals and
objectives, and then choose suitable indicators.

I define sustainability as a decision-making process that considers
economic, social and environmental  goals and impacts regardless of how
difficult they are to measure, including impacts that occur to people who
are distant in time and space. At a minimum, this should take into account
the following:

ECONOMIC IMPACTS
Affordability
Resource efficiency
Cost internalization
Trade and business activity
Employment
Productivity
Tax burden

SOCIAL IMPACTS
Equity
Human health
Education
Community
Quality of life
Public Participation

ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS
Pollution prevention
Climate protection
Biodiversity
Precautionary action
Avoidance of irreversibility
Habitat preservation
Aesthetics

With a set of evaluation criteria such as this you can evaluate to what
degree a particular policy or program (such as increased carsharing
availability and use) helps achieve sustainability, and how it can be
designed to best achieve sustainability objectives. You can also define
indicators, such as per-capita vehicle ownership and use, per capita
transportation expenditures, which are not really goals (goals are what you
ultimately want to achieve, such as healthy, accessibility, wealth, etc.),
but which indicate progress toward goals.

I recommend being very careful with the wording you use, such as "draconian
reductions," and against focusing too much on any one interest group, no
matter how deserving, such as "Protect children, provide them with healthy
transport" (why are children deserving more consideration than people with
disabilities, or peasants, or my mother-in-law?).

For more information see the "Sustainable Transportation and TDM"
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm67.htm) and "Planning"
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm50.htm) chapters of our Online TDM Encyclopedia
, and:

Todd Litman, "Sustainable Transportation Indicators," VTPI (www.vtpi.org),
2003.

Todd Litman, “Reinventing Transportation; Exploring the Paradigm Shift
Needed to Reconcile Sustainability and Transportation Objectives,”
Transportation Research Record 1670, Transportation Research Board
(www.trb.org), 1999, pp. 8-12; available at www.vtpi.org.

Todd Litman and David Burwell, "Issues in Sustainable Transportation," VTPI
(www.vtpi.org), 1999.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,