[sustran] Re: (fwd) [UTSG] transport strategy transfer

Gabrielle Hermann gabbyherm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 23:14:44 JST 2004

Hi Walter and others,

Quick follow-up question.  What cities have changed
their minds about building a highway or metro system
upon hearing about (from Penalosa and others) or
seeing Transmilenio? I know that Lima did, and I seem
to remember hearing about a few African cities doing
the same.

Thanks,

Gabrielle
--- Walter Hook <whook at itdp.org> wrote:
> i think we developed countries have transferred most
> of our problems to
> developing countries, starting with the automobile
> and the auto-dominated
> highway capacity manual, for example, out of date
> versions still used
> despite very different conditions.  green wave area
> traffic control signals,
> killing a lot more pedestrians, highway overpasses,
> transferred from
> developed world, disrupting transit  and pedestrian
> and bicycle flows,
> metros disrupting bus-based transit systems and
> trapping countries in
> perpetual debts, etc. the big innovations came from
> curitiba, singapore (now
> developed), and china.
>
> w.

=====
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi