[sustran] Re: (fwd) [UTSG] transport strategy transfer

Alan Howes Alan.Howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 22:38:43 JST 2004

Agreed.  Though as ever, it's not a simple case of black and white.  Walter says China is a good example - but our firm has recently been working in China (Shanghai), and has had a hard struggle to dissuade them from riding their streets of both cycles and trolleybuses.  (I'm not sure of the outcome - I wasn't involved personally.)

It's not only consultants who should be blamed (excluding ourselves of course!).  A big problem is local politicians who think "development" means apeing the worst aspects of the "North".  Just another aspect, I suppose, of the unequal terms on which the developed world deals with the rest.

I think it's true, Fatima, that you will find more bad examples than good ones of strategy/policy transfer from the developed to the developing world

Alan

--
Alan Howes
Associate Transport Planner

4 St Colme Street
Edinburgh      EH3 6AA
Scotland
email:  alan.howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
tel:      (0)131 240 2892 (direct)
           (0)131 226 4693 (switchboard)
           (0)7952 464335  (mobile)
fax:     (0)131 220 0232
www: http:/www.cbuchanan.co.uk/
_______________________________
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it for the addressee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender by replying to this email.
Any views expressed by an individual within this email which do not constitute or record professional advice relating to the business of CBP, do not necessarily reflect the views of the company. Any professional advice or opinion contained within this email is subject to our terms and conditions of business.
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
_______________________________

>>> "Jonathan E. D. Richmond" <richmond at alum.mit.edu> 22/04/04 14:21:00 >>>

BRAVO! Well said (the message arrives the very evening I am re-reading
Hook and Repogle's article on "Motorization and non-motorized transport in
Asia" which I am having my students prepare for class tomorrow!!!)

What I see is too much learning from the West without adequate local
context. Consultants come in to say what needs to be done; Western
textbooks are consulted when they are not appropriate to local situations.
4-step models are used when they not only have little or no predictive
power but ignore pedestrian and other non-motorized movements that are
vital to local mobility -- and often to the local economy as well.
Cost-benefit analysis puts the needs of motorists ahead because they have
higher income -- so "obviously" their time is worth more.

If the West is to help, we need more of a mixing of minds: people who will
come from the West to listen and observe and share concepts with local
professionals as equals, rather than arriving without an understanding of
context to give irrelevant instructions.

                                                --Jonathan

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Walter Hook wrote:

> i think we developed countries have transferred most of our problems to
> developing countries, starting with the automobile and the auto-dominated
> highway capacity manual, for example, out of date versions still used
> despite very different conditions.  green wave area traffic control signals,
> killing a lot more pedestrians, highway overpasses, transferred from
> developed world, disrupting transit  and pedestrian and bicycle flows,
> metros disrupting bus-based transit systems and trapping countries in
> perpetual debts, etc. the big innovations came from curitiba, singapore (now
> developed), and china.
>
> w.

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Transportation Engineering program
School of Civil Engineering, Room N260B               02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Ms. Nisarat Hansuksa
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6051
					      Intl:  662 524-6051
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/