[sustran] Re: Counter-thoughts on carsharing for Third World cities.

Regina_Therese_MANZO at ura.gov.sg Regina_Therese_MANZO at ura.gov.sg
Mon Apr 19 18:02:25 JST 2004

To remark on the note below by Chris Bradshaw (forwarded by Eric Britton)
from the World Transport Forum discussion list -

Chris' comments comprise detailed information from the North American
context, and are important for all interested in sustainable transport.
And they form a cogent argument for why car-sharing will not increase
un-sustainable transport in car-dominated societies.  On the other hand,
Lee Schipper's original comments are attuned to the issues in developing
countries, and are accurate for that context.

The issue is really the huge differences in context  between car-dependent
North America (or Europe or Australia) and the developing world.  Just for
an example, a fundamental difference is "image" which Chris refers to in
his Fifth point.  There is no such thing as a "reverse image" in the
developing world - having access to a car is high prestige, period.

So, the points Chris makes lead to an accurate conclusion for the North
American context.  We can't however assume a similar conclusion  in the
developing world.  My feeling, akin to Lee Schipper's, is that car-sharing
would increase motorization in developing world cities, where sheer
volumes of people to be moved combined with sheer lack of road space (not
to mention hosts of social and health issues) mean even small increases in
the use of cars have significant ramifications on
environment/equity/health....

Best regards,
Gina Manzo

Regina Manzo, AICP „X Urban Redevelopment Authority „X 45 Maxwell Road „X
URA Centre „X Singapore 069118 „X? ph +65 6321-8305 „X
Privileged / Confidential information may be contained in this message. If
you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or use
it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Please
notify the sender immediately if you receive this in error.? http://www.ura.gov.sg

<ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr>
Sent by:
sustran-discuss-bounces+regina_therese_manzo=ura.gov.sg at list.jca.apc.org
16/04/2004 14:48
Please respond to Eric.Britton; Please respond to Asia and the Pacific
sustainable transport