[sustran] Re: Achieving Modal Shift - Market Research - another thought

Piotr Olszewski (Assoc Prof) COLSZE at ntu.edu.sg
Sat Sep 6 23:19:42 JST 2003

Dear Alan,

You bring up a very important point - and I agree that this area is rather neglected.

Here in Singapore we are conducting a research study on walking accessibility to public transport. While the public transport here is generally of a high standard, getting to an MRT station often requires quite an effort. We hope to develop a method of measuring this effort and to examine the effect on modal split of factors such as the number of steps to climb, walkway quality, exposure to traffic, etc.

So far, a pilot survey shows that the most important factors influencing peoples' walking decisions (apart from the distance) are: provision of rain shelters (not surprising in the tropics), having to climb stairs and delay at pedestrian crossings. A bigger survey is planned for later this year.

If anybody is conducting a similar research (or knows about it) - I would be glad to hear from them.

Regards,

Piotr Olszewski   colsze at ntu.edu.sg

Nanyang Technological University

Singapore