[sustran] TRANSPORTATION MEGAPROJECTS

B Flyvbjerg flyvbjerg at i4.auc.dk
Thu Nov 27 22:17:39 JST 2003

Dear Colleague.

I thought you would be interested to know that the book MEGAPROJECTS
AND RISK: AN ANATOMY OF AMBITION by Nils Bruzelius, Werner
Rothengatter, and myself was recently published by Cambridge University
Press.

The book offers a detailed examination of the phenomenon of
megaprojects, including their environmental, economic, and geographical
effects. I include the Table of Contents below for your information.
First chapter, etc. may be found at:
UK: http://uk.cambridge.org/sociology/megaprojects/
US: http://us.cambridge.org/features/megaprojects/

We would be happy to discuss the book and would value any comments you
may have.

I hope this is useful. Please feel free to forward this message to any
relevant person or listserv. If this mail is of no interest to you, I
apologise for the inconvenience. Also apologies for any cross posting.

Best wishes,

Bent Flyvbjerg, Professor
Dept. of Development and Planning
Aalborg University, 9220 Aalborg, Denmark
Homepage: www.plan.auc.dk/~flyvbjerg

CONTENTS: MEGAPROJECTS AND RISK
1. The Megaprojects Paradox
2. A Calamitous History of Cost Overrun
3. The Demand for Megaprojects
4. Substance and Spin in Megaproject Economics
5. Environmental Impacts and Risks
6. Regional and Economic Growth Effects
7. Dealing with Risk
8. Conventional Megaproject Development
9. Lessons of Privatisation
10. Four Instruments of Accountability
11. Accountable Megaproject Decision Making
12. Beyond the Megaprojects Paradox
Appendix. Risk and Accountability at Work: A Case Study

Inspection copies available at:
UK: http://uk.cambridge.org/textbooks/ or by email at
inspectioncopy at cambridge.org
US: Lourina McQuilkin at lmcquilkin at cup.org