[sustran] Re: FW: Land Value Taxation Event 23/04/03

Eric Bruun ericbruun at earthlink.net
Sat May 24 00:19:35 JST 2003

I want to point out that in some places, public transport agencies are
specfically not allowed to use land value capture. It would take changes in
laws first.

Secondly, the lack of transparency about costs for public transport projects
is certainly not true in the US. The Federal government requires all kinds
of documentation about local/state contributions and about future operating
cost supports for public transport projects before it contributes. This is
then used by the highway lobby to point out how expensive public transport
is. But the truth is that there is no matching requirement for highway
projects, especially not about the operating and maintenance costs. This is
good for the highway lobby, because much of the operating support comes from
property taxes and general taxation, not from user taxes.

Eric Bruun