[sustran] Re: FW: Land Value Taxation Event 23/04/03

Karl Fjellstrom karl at dnet.net.id
Fri May 23 18:05:54 JST 2003

Dear Paul & Craig, sorry for the delayed response.

Bogota implemented a value capture scheme along the TransMilenio
(www.transmilenio.gov.co) lines which was apparently (according to the
Mayor of the time) successful in recouping some of the windfall gains
which accrued to land ownwers along the TransMilenio route. This value
capture is an important part of the funding arrangement for the ongoing
expansion of the system.

The COO of Bangkok's Skytrain system in March gave a presentation to the
Thai-German Chamber of Commerce where he outlined major increases in
property values in proximity to the Skytrain stations; especially for
commercial premises like shopping malls. Responding to a question, he
said however that there was no plan for any kind of tax/charge to
capture the windfall gains to the owners of these premises, but that
they to some extent capture these gains by imposing charges for the
commercial premises to establish walkway connections to the Skytrain
stations.

Similarly in Brisbane, when it is proposed to the transit officials
express strong interest in some form of value capture to fund system
expansion, though nothing like that has been implemented there. What's
the catch? Here's my conspiracy theory: there is often an incredible
dearth of transparency and open debate surrounding all issues of mass
transit system cost, especially when it comes to rail metros. It's only
when there is no financial black hole to hide, such as in Bogota's bus
rapid transit system, that you might see these options openly canvassed.
(Political commitment helps too, of course...)

Regards
Karl Fjellstrom