[sustran] Re: Article in Guardian Newspaper

Jack Mallinckrodt mally at ieee.org
Sun Mar 30 16:17:29 JST 2003

At 08:38 PM 3/29/03, Alan Patrick Howes wrote:
>I smell disinformation!
>
>Let's leave aside for the moment such questions as the safety and
>environmental effects of 1,700 autos per hour vs 231 buses per hour, and
>the effects on congestion on the rest of the traffic system - which are
>major considferations.
>
>But even then - 11 persons per bus?! Our AVERAGE occupancy
>(passenger-kms/vehicle-kms) here is 20.5, and that includes some minibus
>routes. I would expect figures in Mumbai to be much higher. And if we had
>bus lanes (dream on!) they would be in places where the occupancy was
>higher still - perhaps 40 average and 50+ in the peak. Which even on
>Jack's limited criteria changes the picture dramatically. Jack - is that
>figure of 11 an overall US all-day average, or a figure for bus lane
>sites, or what?

JM: I have found that there is a tendency to overestimate bus ridership
when treated as an eyeball or off-the-cuff estimate. The figure of 11
persons per bus is accurate.  It is from the DOT, FTA, US National Transit
Database, 2001, for all times of day, all bus system opertors, all bus
types, and is derived as
AVO = US Annual Bus Passenger miles / US Annual Bus Revenue hours
    = 1.83E11/1.65E9 = 11.09 passengers/bus.

That is quite an accurate number for the US average and has been about the
same for the last ten years.  Comparable peak hour AVO numbers are not
available. And As I said in my post, you'll have to use your own figures.

Peak hour loadings are certainly higher but they are so for both buses and
for roads, so the comparison of day average persons/hour should  be
indicative.

>You can certainly look at traffic flow like it was analagous to
>electricity distribution - the more down the pipe the better - but that is
>only a fraction of the proper picture if your goal is a "livable city".
>Take a look at Jack's website Debi
>(<http://www.urbantransport.org>www.urbantransport.org) and you will see
>where he is coming from - then make your own judgement on the value of his
>advice in your situation.

Evidently Alan, you decide what to believe based on the credentials of who
says it.  I prefer, to make my arguments stand on their own valid data and
logic. If that doesn't cut it with you, so be it.

Jack

www.urbantransport.org