[sustran] Re: Article in Guardian Newspaper

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Sat Mar 29 18:23:34 JST 2003

I read the comment on this article before I read the article itself - I would not call it exactly "rail bashing" - I am not sure whether "every metro in the world swallows up huge subsidies" is a comment by John Whitelegg or supposed to be a quote from Penalosa.

But would anyone dispute that, comparing "like for like" as much as possible, that the subsidy required per passenger-km (including capital costs) will be, on worldwide comparisons, higher for a Metro than for a bus system - a lot higher. But OK, the benefits will be different too. One factor that has to be considered is urban density - bus systems are generally more appropriate the lower the urban density. In fact, rich low-density cities like Los Angeles (or even Du*ai) may well be better served by busways, while relatively poor high-density cities such as New Delhi or Mumbai may justify rail!

But it is my view that more cities in the world get Metro systems when a Bus-based system would be more appropriate, than vice versa. And I think one of the reasons for this is the power of the rail industry lobby, and the desire of western governments to sell rail systems - which bring a lot more benefit to western companies than would a bus system to move the same demand. ("Oh dear, they might actually buy LOCALLY MADE buses" - shock horror)

And in my recent experience, some western consultants work to the same agenda, which may justify the crack "we should stop sending our transport consultants to developing countries" - which might have raised my ire! (I am about to leave Dubai to work for a consultant in the UK - one that believes that buses and trains each have a part to play!)

There are certainly cases where rail is preferable to bus for reasons such as speed or capacity - but the flexibility and ease of implementation of bus systems are a big advantage too. Curitiba and Bogota have shown that buses can move traffic volumes that previously have been thought to need rail - potentially up to 25,000 pax per hour per direction on a single lane, depending on suitable arrangements of stops/stations. And an elevated busway takes up no more space at ground level than does an elevated railway.

--
These comments are my personal opinion ONLY
Alan P Howes, Dubai
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
http://www.dubaipublictransport.ae/
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214